Know what you want to write about but you just can’t seem to get anything written?
Writers block can be a nightmare, especially if you have a deadline to meet. There are a few things that you can do to unblock your mind and get things going, try one of these beating writers block tips:
- If you have time, turn off your computer and go do something completely different for a few hours. Sometimes getting away from things helps you relax and see things from a new perspective.
- Grab a pen and piece of paper and head off to another room. Writing things down can help to change your thought pattern and remove the writers block.
- Write, write,write,write, sit down and write everything that comes into your mind, as fast as possible.. This might appear to be the opposite of what you feel you should be dong, but it works. By just writing everything down you will force yourself through the writers block. Don’t worry about grammar or structure, just write. Once you’ve written as much as you can then read through it and start editing it down and expanding on the good bits.
- Listen to music while you write. Many writers do this and lots of them suggest listening to classical music in the background as they write. Personally, I would say, listen to the music that you need to get you motivated. If heavy metal gets your blood flowing and your mind alert then tune in and turn up the volume.
- Make a spider diagram. Draw a circle and write your topic in the middle, now draw lines from the circle and write a related word at the end of the line. Soon you will have a diagram of ideas that you can expand upon and get you out of the writers block.
Remember, the words are all in there, it’s just a matter of getting them out and written down. Every writer struggles at some point from writers block, so don’t let it put you off writing.
If you have any tips for overcoming writers block then add them below.